Thursday, August 24, 2006

I just got carded! I love this day! I'm taking tomorrow off work, since it is move in day and I can't help with the damn broken toe. So, I stopped at the same liquor store I always go to on the way home to grab a bottle of wine and the guy there carded me! At 28, you just don't get carded all that often and with my new haircut that, to quote my friend's grandmother, "finally makes me look like an adult", it happens even less. I believe in life, it is the little things that really make or break a day and today, for me, getting carded made my day.

Next weekend, one of my best friend's is turning 30. While I don't feel close to that milestone, and I doubt it will really bother me, 30 is a big number. It is one of those number where you measure your life to see where you are and where you want to be. I remember turning 25. I'm one of the babies of the office, so it was a big topic of conversation. Lots of folks asked me if it bothered me to turn 25 and it truly didn't. I was married, owned my own home, had a good job, two beautiful baby kitties, and was well on my way to a masters degree. I couldn't imagine what else I was supposed to have accomplished by 25. As I get closer to 30, people only seem to measure me by whether or not I have kids. Now that Taylor's sister had her first, the questions are going to continue to come. My, "We just want to finish school" answer expired in June. We are going to a family party this weekend, and I know people are going to make comments about me being next. I had been able to differ this pressure to the other Heather, who is older and has been married longer, but now that Rebecca is here I'm going to need another answer. Because I don't feel like it doesn't seem to be a good answer. Nor does I like drinking too much or I really want to go to Disney this winter and be able to go on all the rides. If you have a smart ass answer that is funny but still tells people to mind their own business we will have a kid when we damn well feel like it, I would love you to share.

I had another big day in the license plate game. I'm up to 23 now, including Minnesota, Michigan, Maryland (a good day for th "M" states) and the great state of Texas. For anyone who doesn't know, Taylor and I spent a night in Texas this year when trapped because of airplane issues. I now own a bracelet that says "Don't Mess With Texas" and while it is not as obnoxious as Bricker's tee-shirt of the same phrase, it is pretty random. I would love to go back there some day and see more than the Dallas Airport hotel. While I hear the Alamo is overrated, I would like to go to the big farmer's market and some place called Amy's Ice Cream, that I did a case about in my Service Management class (I love Saeed!). Still, I think Texas is far from the top of the travel list. We want to hit Disney this winter, and I desperately want to go to California.

I love long weekends!

No comments: